Child safety is an important thing for parents. When a new-born child is about to arrive in a family, every member of the family wants the child to be happy and healthy. Every member of the family thinks something new every day for the child’s happiness and tries to fulfill it. Parents need to protect their infant from harm and for this, they try. Toddlers do not accept any limits, nor do they know any limits, so we can say that children aged 15 to 18 months usually suffer from the most injuries. Toddlers are usually fearless, natural adventure seekers and are curious climbers, apart from this they enjoy doing all kinds of mischief. Life is a big thrill for young children and they live every moment with great vigor. The time of age up to one year for the child is to build skills in all areas. Children of this age start remembering what they have learned and they also share this experience with others.
Toddlers have a greater ability to learn; they understand things more deeply; they make their own choices and connect with others in fresh alternative ways. The adjustments in the toddler’s physical, subjective, and social-passionate advancement help them produce new aptitudes that set them up for school and later learning.
During these activities, children should not get hurt and do not harm them; for this, adopt the following measures to make their home safe for them.
1. What can family members do for them?
When the toddlers are growing, they need to be familiar to you and it is likewise crucial for them. However, by turning to this level, they become closer to some members of the family and kids too require to be independent and to be understood properly. Every member of the family has to keep an eye on their kids, and whenever they need any help, they can easily approach. Whenever you receive some guests or relatives, you can make some extra supervision strategies such as arrange the house as a safe place for kids.
Arrange the furniture and other items carefully, that these could reach the toddlers. However, while doing this, always leave some space for kids to play with their toys or spend some time over a safe place. Likewise, make certain that your toddler couldn’t reach any dangerous thing such as electronics, sharp items, or heavy things. Additionally, if the mother is busy at work, don’t leave the kid solely to play, have a look after every 10 or 15 mins to confirm the kid’s safety.
2. Proper food and diet
For the growth of toddlers and infants, parents must take care of the food for kids. Until the kid can chew well and he has a full set of teeth, do not give them popcorn, nuts, grapes, apple chunks or slices, seeds, round candies, cut-up hot dogs, and hard chunks of uncooked vegetables. A simple and light food and drink would be beneficial such as milk, soft fruits, etc.
3. Furniture and Equipment
You arrange your home furniture and household items in such a way that you can provide some extra space for growing and active children to use their growing motor abilities. Also, make sure that your child has only age-appropriate items in his reach. And it is also necessary to make sure that all the furniture is properly protected with corner guard or mounted on the wall, and your presence with this furniture is also necessary. You should be around the toddler at all times so you can see, hear, and find your child quickly if needed. To avoid burns, parents must set the water heaters at 120 degrees Fahrenheit.
4. Inspect toys and furniture
Inspection of equipment, toys, and furniture protect toddlers from injury. You should keep using the home safety checklist so you can keep in mind your child’s needs and developmental abilities, and you can easily identify potential hazards so you can get the child away from those items, repair them, which can be harmful to your child.
5. Use home security devices.
When there are toddlers in the house, use baby monitor, smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors so you can get information about any dangerous situation. Properly installed such devices help save lives. Keep checking the battery of these devices from time to time and change it when necessary. Make a fire escape plan at your home and keep checking it periodically. It can also be beneficial to use safety devices such as outlet covers, cabinet locks, and baby gates.
6. Kid Safety in the Bathroom
For well being and to maintain a strategic distance from costly handyman calls, hold the toilet seat top-down and secure it when not used. It’s a smart thought to restrict access to the restroom with a security door or lock, if not in use. Always keep medicines used in the bathroom away from children and out of reaches from them, such as toothpaste and mouthwash. This time can be fun or a challenge when you bathe with your child. When you use a baby bathtub, empty it when it is not in use because the filled tub can be dangerous for children.
7. General safety rules for child
Toddlers use their muscles in new ways during these years, and they play with every part of their body. During the toddler years, they practice jumping, running, throwing, and kicking.
- Monitor that child and try to know at all times where your child is and what he is doing.
- When your child is playing alone, notice that there is no loud sound, after the period of active play, plan some soothing activities to change the pace.
- You should always engage with children. The toddlers can play some time independently, but you should also be busy with them from time to time. It would help if you kept talking to them about their game from time to time. Interfere if your child needs some extra support to make a safe choice.
8. Family members should use a checklist to create a safe environment.
Toddlers change after an age, along with their anatomy, new interests and abilities are constantly displayed. Young toddlers can put any item in their mouth, so the area where they are playing should be free from small items as these items can prove dangerous for them.
- Make and keep up safe spaces by utilizing a home well being agenda to distinguish potential perils and ensure your house is clean and safe for a functioning and active baby.
- Dynamic Supervision is an approach to give close consideration and protect kids, particularly exceptionally dynamic youngsters who are bound to face challenges regarding investigating their general surroundings.
- Bolting the furniture into the wall is essential to protect young age children from serious injury and is beneficial for children who particularly enjoy climbing, running, and jumping or just might be curious about a tool that they may not reach.
- As they grow, toddlers learn new skills and take new risks. As the environment around them changes, their conversation also starts changing and they also invite additional security risks. Toddlers may need some extra space to practice their motor skills to climb, walk, run, and jump safely, and show their skills.
A toddler is always the most lovable person in the family, he or she is the one who gets the most attention in the family. And if the toddler hurts itself for any reason, then it is not at all bearable for the family. Despite all this love, they tend to be careless unknowingly. Being alert and attentive about their child is the foremost important thing. Helping the baby take the right steps is the foremost duty of parents. And these steps will forever make him walk on the right path while maintaining the security.